Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bombing at Bus Station Takes One Life So Far, Injures 50


This is a terrible tragedy, a horrible crime, and an unforgivable attack.  Please pray for the victims, and that the leaders of Israel will find it in their hearts to destroy the enemies of the Jewish people.

1 dead, 50 injured in Jerusalem bus bombing
Bomb  inside bag explodes next to Egged bus 74 opposite Binyanei Ha'uma in central Jerusalem; 3 seriously injured, 5 in moderate condition.

One woman died and 50 were injured after a bomb exploded at a bus station in central Jerusalem Wednesday afternoon.

Police  said the explosion took place outside Egged bus number 74 at a station opposite the Jerusalem Conference Center (Binyanei Ha'uma) in the center  of town.

Fifty people were injured in the attack. Three were injured seriously from the explosion itself, four moderately from shrapnel packed into the explosive device and the remainder were in moderate to light condition.

The  50 injured were taken to Hadassah Ein Kerem, Hadassah Mount Scopus, Bikur Holim and Shaare Tzedek hospitals. All hospitals  in the area were opened to receive casualties. One woman, aged 59, died from injuries sustained in the blast.

Police  said that this was the first terrorist attack in four years that involved an explosion. Police were looking for one specific person who left the bag that contained the bomb.

There were reports that witnesses were able to identify the man who left the bag and police were searching for him.

Police  suspected that an explosive device inside a bag was left at the bus stop, which then exploded.

Public Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch  said that the explosive device was between one and two kilograms and was packed with shrapnel.

Yishai: We must take action after escalation in South and Jerusalem

Interior Minister Eli Yishai called for Israel to act
after the bombing in Jerusalem and the rocket attacks in the south.

"I  see the escalation is already here in a number of fronts - in the South  and also in Jerusalem," Yishai said, while visiting the scene of the explosion.

He added that "recent events require us to take action. If we don't do this we will lose our power of deterrence."

Authorities said that there was no connection between the attack and events in the Gaza Strip
in recent days. However, they suspected a connection between this attack and one several weeks, in which an explosive device was left on the side of a main road near Gilo.

Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat said his main concern is that this could happen anywhere. He called the incident a  "cowardly terrorist attack." Barkat added that he believes in the police's capability to catch the perpetrator. He added that in 99 percent of cases, the terrorists are found.

The mayor added that he will still participate in the Jerusalem Marathon scheduled to take place on Friday. Most importantly, he said, is to return to your normal lives so that the terrorists don't think they can win.

Large numbers of police and ambulance forces were on the scene.

Roads  surrounding the scene were closed to traffic and authorities were searching the area for additional explosive devices and for a suspect. Police raised the alert level in the capital, following the explosion.

Police were beginning to reopen Highway 1 following the attack.

The Jerusalem Police has two phone numbers for information: 02-5314600 or 106 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not use comments to personally attack other posters.