Monday, October 25, 2010

Am Ha'aretz Traitor, Uri Blau, Returns to Israel


I hope that, in addition to the obvious charges against this traitor, that the state will also charge Ha’aretz newspaper with aiding and abetting his treachery by supporting Uri Blau while he was living outside the country and was a wanted fugitive.

Not only did he harm the state, but he lied to the state of Israel, then continued to print the stories—perhaps endangering Israel’s security and the lives of our men and women in uniform.

He should be ashamed to show his face in public.

For months, I have refused to read, comment upon, or print anything appearing on the pages of Ha’aretz.  I don’t think it is right to support a newspaper that was supporting a man in avoiding the law.

Now, finally, Blau is in custody.

It is my sincere hope that the newspaper will be fined or senior members of that newspaper will be arrested in connection with Blau's actions.


Reporter in Kamm espionage case returns to Israel
Uri  Blau, the 'Haaretz' journalist who received classified documents from then-soldier Anat Kamm, to be interrogated by Shin Bet.
10/24/2010 21:13

 Haaretz  investigative reporter Uri Blau, who has been living outside the country since January because he was wanted by police, returned home on Sunday after his lawyers signed an agreement with the state and returned  1,500 stolen army documents, including many classified as "secret" or "top secret," the Justice Ministry announced.

Blau received the documents from Anat Kamm, who, in 2006-07, served as an aide to the head  of the bureau of COC Central Command Yair Naveh, where she was privy to  classified information stored on the general's computer.

During  her service, she copied 2,000 documents and later gave them to Blau. In  November 2008, Blau reported that senior IDF and Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) officials had approved the terms of a targeted assassination in violation of a landmark ruling on the issue by the High  Court of Justice.

Haaretz also published a photocopy of the order for the targeted assassination which Blau had received from Kamm.

ISA  agents questioned Blau about how he had come into possession of the document and demanded that he return all the stolen documents. Blau returned 500 documents and said that was all he had. He refused to divulge the source that had given him the documents.

Meanwhile, the Shin Bet tracked down Kamm and arrested her. She admitted that she had stolen documents and handed over her computer and a disc onto which she had copied them. She also told police that she had given Blau copies  of the 2,000 documents she had stolen.

The Shin Bet then returned to Blau, accused him of lying to them by saying he had returned  all the documents in his possession, and demanded the return of the other 1,500. The negotiations over the return of the documents broke down. According to Blau's lawyers, Mibi Mozer and Tali Lieblich, the Shin Bet demanded that Blau also hand over the entire archive he had created up from the beginning of his career as a journalist.

Meanwhile,  Blau went on vacation. He was advised by his newspaper not to come home  while the negotiations with his lawyers were taking place.

According  to Sunday's Justice Ministry announcement, Blau returned more than 1,500 documents which he had received from Kamm. Hundreds of them were classified as "secret or top secret."

Blau also promised that within 48 hours of his arrival in Israel, he would present himself to police and be interrogated under caution. Blau agreed to be interrogated  jointly by police and the ISA and declared that not a single document remained in his possession in any form. He also gave his consent to undergo a polygraph test if the authorities ordered him to.

The ministry said Blau could be indicted for being in possession of the secret material and that if he were, he would first be granted a hearing  before Attorney-General Yehuda Weinstein.

Meanwhile, in a related development, Anat Kamm was expected to sign a plea agreement in the next two weeks, Army Radio reported.

Kamm, who has been under house arrest since being accused of espionage, received a final draft of the agreement through her lawyers last week. This week, the lawyers are expected to give their response to state prosecutors after having discussed the details with Kamm, according to the report.

Indications are that the plea removes the charge of "harming state security" from the indictment. However, should Kamm be found guilty of the remaining charges, the sentence could be as long as 15 years, Army Radio reported. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not use comments to personally attack other posters.