Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Hevron Rosh Yeshiva Arrested for "Incitement of Youth"
Trying to convict Rabbi Shadrapi for “incitement” is like trying to convict a person walking in a tender-dry forest of arson. Of course you could pin the fire on them, but the truth is that the fire would have started anyway.
The real tragedy of the situation is that the government is out for a witch hunt to find those who are opposing what is probably the most apparent miscarriage of justice on record. It is the government that has created the situation in the first place and, after creating it, fanned the flames in order to gain a few votes in the upcoming election.
The whole thing is part of a greater sickness gripping the secular citizens of the country—one of self-mutilation and self-hatred. The people of Israel have been held hostage for too long by the rabid hate of the world. They have forgotten who they are, and they have started to side with their captors. It is a commonly seen illness, but one not seen on a national scale until now.
Our only hope is for the people of Israel to stop being doormats and start being Jews.
Nov 26, 2008 12:31 | Updated Nov 26, 2008 16:02
Yeshiva head arrested for inciting youth
By JPOST STAFF AND YAAKOV KATZ
Rabbi Yigal Shandrapi, the head of Yeshuat Mordechai Yeshiva, is expected to be brought before the Jerusalem Magistrate's Court on Wednesday for a remand hearing, after police from the Judea and Samaria Division arrested him on Tuesday on suspicion of inciting Jewish youth to riot.
According to the allegations, Shandrapi incited the teenagers two separate cases, the most recent of which occurred two months ago at the Yad Yair outpost, in the West Bank. During that incident, soldiers described being attacked and said that their vehicles were damaged.
Meanwhile, nearly 40 Jewish youth reportedly rampaged through the streets of a Palestinian neighborhood in Hebron overnight Tuesday, puncturing car tires and shattering windows in Arab homes.
The youths were also suspected of spray-painting a Star of David on one of the houses in the area.
While no arrests had been made, police were investigating the incident.
Responding to the latest developments, the chairman of the Knesset Interior Committee, MK Ophir Paz-Pines (Labor), called on Defense Minister Ehud Barak and Public Security Minister Avi Dichter to clamp down on the offenders.
"This is an additional crossing of a red line by organized, dangerous thugs, and it must be responded to with the utmost seriousness and gravity," Paz-Pines said. "The police must immediately initiate a thorough investigation and start a series of arrests in order to put an end to the 'Wild West' in Hebron, and to establish, without hesitation, the rule of law."
Meanwhile, Barak warned on Wednesday that if settlers do not voluntarily evacuate the dispute four-story building in Hebron, known as Beit Hashalom, the defense ministry will evacuate them by force.
Speaking during a tour of the IDF's Hebron brigade, Barak stressed that the evacuation would be carried out by police and that the IDF would provide surrounding support.
Barak also harshly criticized the recent violence and said that any harm inflicted on a soldier or policeman or anyone who represented the state of Israel was a "grave incident which expands the rift which is already harming the gentle fabric of democracy in Israel."
Barak said Israel must "arrest these attackers, punish them with all the severity of the law, since their actions are aimed at undermining the authority of the State."
The defense minister, toured the area with IDF Chief of General Staff Lt.-Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi and OC Central Command Maj.-Gen. Gadi Shamni.
On Tuesday, Shamni met with settler leaders in Hebron, who warned him that a violent evacuation could lead to casualties on both sides.