Thursday, November 1, 2007

Marky Ramone to play in Israel


Image: http://www.fullbodyburn.com/images/misc/chrisjoeymarkeydebbie.jpg
-----
B"H

I know a lot of people don't see Punk as an important Jewish thing, but, as I have said before and I will say again, it is the most Jewish-American of all music forms. It was birthed at the CBGB (a Jewish-owned establishment), featured Jewish artists, and played for Jewish audiences.

It is important to know the roots of Punk, as often our enemies use it to attack us. What they don't realize, however, is they are the butt of the cosmic joke of Punk. Laugh at them. They are truly stupid.

M

-----
Former drummer of legendary punk rock band to perform in Tel Aviv on January 10, 2008

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3466640,00.html

Marky Ramone, the former drummer of the legendary punk rock band the Ramones is scheduled to perform at Tel Aviv's Zappa Club on January 10, 2008.

The drummer, born Marc Steven Bell, joined the Ramones in 1978 as Tommy Ramone's replacement and was renamed Marky Ramone.

Marky, 55, was asked to leave the band in 1983 due to an alcohol addiction, but he returned in 1987 and stayed on until the band stopped performing in 1996.

He currently tours the world with his "spoken-word" show, during which he talks about his time with the Ramones and other bands he was a part of. Five years ago The Ramones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio.

Marky will appear in Israel with three additional members of his band. They will perform some 30 Ramones tunes.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Michelle,

    I absolutely agree with you about punk being very Jewish in origin.

    If you haven't seen it, you should check out my book, "The Heebie-Jeebies at CBGB's: A Secret History of Jewish Punk" (Chicago Review Press, 2006).

    You can also learn more about the book on my website: www.jewpunk.com

    Gabba gabba chey!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    Steve! Wow!! A true celebrity on my site!! (at least among me and my teen son). We LOVE your book. We have your book on the shelf--I'm staring at it right now.

    I also plugged it on my site a few weeks back when the great Hilly went to watch the Big Jam with Hashm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I dropped off my sons at Torah Dayschool (very orthodox) with the Ramones blasting "The KKK stole my baby away" on my minivan sound system.

    It was satisfying.

    M

    ReplyDelete

Please do not use comments to personally attack other posters.